Wednesday, May 21, 2008

I did it !!!

State Representative Donald Humanson,R-Westfield and Victor G. Davila



This past Saturday,May 17th, 2008 was a very special day for me. It was my birthday and my graduation from Westfield State College . I graduated with a double Bachelor Degree in Arts in Political Science and Economics. My experience at Westfield State College helped to reinforce my beliefs and opened my eyes to other issues, mainly the importance of having a transparent and clear government and the need for fiscal responsibility. Westfield State College is an educational institution that Western Massachusetts must be proud of. In fact it is a gem of knowledge in Western Massachusetts. There were approximately 1,100 graduates and a total of 5,000 people attended the graduation ceremonies. The guest speaker was Mike Scully, writer and producer of the television show "The Simpsons". Mike Scully is a native of West Springfield and a 1974 West Springfield High School Graduate. He was a comical speaker and with his sense of humor gave a compelling message to the graduates. Mike Scully received an Honorary Doctorate Degree in Fine Arts for his work on the television industry.

Mike Scully's message of perseverance and of never giving up resonated with me. I have to admit that I achieved the Economics degree with great effort and perseverance and with help from my tutor Ryan Sabis, to him I am eternally grateful. I am also grateful to Professor Wagner for his words of encouragement, his advice and his confidence in me. Professors Sarnykar and Kingsley were also encouraging and of great help. I would not forgive myself if I do not acknowledge Carmen Diaz. Carmen is the Secretary for the Economics Department. Carmen was ever helpful and cheered me on when I felt down. Gracias Carmen !!!

As I sat on my seat I was proud to see other Hispanics graduating. I only wish that there were more Hispanics graduating from College, but until we successfully curve the high drop out rate among the Hispanic students this will be very difficult to achieve. To this task we can not fail, the stakes are too high.

God willing, I will begin a Master of Business Administration program in the fall.


After the graduation ceremonies, my wife had a surprise graduation party. I was glad to share this moment with my friends. And now I share it with you through my blog.



Victor G. Davila and Professor Wagner

My Tutor Ryan Sabins and Victor G. Davila



3 comments:

Tom said...

Congratulations Victor, enjoy your bright future!

Tony said...

Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

I think you posted the picture of you next to representative Humanson because you look anorexic compared to him.